Wednesday 8 May 2013

This Weeks Drawing.....Withernsea Lighthouse

Hello Lovelies,
when we visited the coast recently one of my favourite things was this beautiful lighthouse right in the middle of town ( it was placed there to protect it from coastal erosion).........


I loved it's neat garden round the back and wished it had been open so we could spent more time there...it must be such a lovely place to sit for a while with a nice cup of tea and a cake.........


It's beautifully preserved as a museum and thankfully were are many lovely images of it online for me to use as a reference for my drawing as my own photos were a bit close up. THIS image was the one I used.

This is a progress shot.....it's a bit hard to see but I wanted to add flowers and leaves in the foreground for colour and interest.
I'm very inspired by beautiful paintings that use this technique like these and this by the lovely Julia Crossland.


I decided to change the flowers a bit after this picture was taken. And loose the leaves at the top (but I now wonder if I should have kept them).

You can see I printed out a couple of reference pictures ........


And used an old gardening  book to get inspiration for the flowers........


And here's the finished picture.........


As usual you can click on the picture to see it more clearly

Again I've added people...this time a couple of friends enjoying tea on the lawn...one of them has come on her bike which is leaning against the wall..........

And I couldn't leave out the super friendly cat we met there, so he is with them.


Here he is again in real life.......


I added some sea gulls in the clear blue sky........


I'm not sure what type of  flowers these are exactly, but I think they turned out O.K. 


I really like this part of the picture too, if you look at the photo I was working from you can just see the old "visit the light house" sign in the corner of the lawn. I did change the shape of the conifer a bit as I didn't like its flat top.......

I also re positioned the bench and the bird table a little ....and remembered to add Tom Tit this time :0)

It was tricky to get the perspective right.....with the large flowers in the foreground and the placement of the friends on the lawn but I'm really pleased with how it turned out in the end.........

Just don't look too closely at the little building on the right...it went a bit wrong !

Withernsea Lighthouse is such a lovely building and it looks great in a photo, but I like the way you can add extra interest with a picture, while still keeping all the lovely details which make it unique.
I hope you agree.
Jacquie x

41 comments:

  1. Beautiful drawing I love the curious kitty. The flowers in the foreground are very striking x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this picture, such detail and so charming. I enjoy seeing what you draw each week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again a lovely evocative drawing! I really loved your girls chatting, the cat watching and the flowers in the foreground really add to it all. The lighthouse must be amazing, in the centre of the town seems a bit of a conundrum! You have drawn the lighthouse beautifully too! Mrs A

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've done it again, it's brilliant! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your drawings ALWAYS make me smile and feel all nostalgic and child-like...can't explain it better than that! Thank you for brightening my morning again :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love lighthouses!!!!I paint one on the wall at my home: you can see it in my blog.
    Isabella

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Jacquie,

    I've really enjoyed seeing your lighthouse drawing take shape, it's really good! Also, thank you for re-finding my blog and for the link - I'm very grateful to those who are updating their expired links too :) It's lovely to be back in Blog land, catching up with all my old chums, hope all's well in your little corner of the world.

    Love Julia x x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh so lovely again! Your drawings lift my spirits :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a very beautyful picture, love al the details and the sweet cat.
    Liefs, Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another lovely drawing! I especially like the flowers in the foreground, makes me feel I'm peeking through them at the ladies enjoying their tea!
    Angie x

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty and fresh Jacquie, I wish I could draw beyond stick figures :o) x Penny

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so taken by your drawings....Are you selling any of them?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your pictures do truly brighten up my day ... truly beautiful!! I am still to get my pens and pencils out ... must do it soon!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the flowers in the foreground were a great addition to your picture, amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous. Have you considered selling prints of your work?

    ReplyDelete
  16. The flowers you have used look great - their strong lines echo that of the lighthouse - I'd love to be sitting on that lawn! Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  17. The light house looks grand and I love your drawing. "Withernsea" is such a great word- I had to say it out loud a couple of times!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so lovely! I really love the little kitten watching the people...so sweet. Now off to check out the rest of your blog. It looks just as lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You made it very nice, with happy persons and flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW, such a wonderful sketch Jacquie.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Phew! I was beginning to worry that Tom Tit had been forgotten again - thanks for the close up, I missed him first time round ;)

    This is one of my favourites so far, Jacquie. I love the giant flowers in the foreground (good idea to omit the big leaves at the top, I think), and all the colours. Sweet little cat too!

    As my mother-in-law would say 'It's a triumph!'

    Jones x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jacquie,
    I´m totally in love with your drawings and the fact that they are based on photos taken by yourself! it´s a great idea and a delicious inspiration: I have been drawing too, thanks to you and I´m having such a good time! Even forget crochet work - it has never happened before!!! rsrrs
    But I have many difficulties, like perspective, shadows etc. As I said before, I´d love if you could give us some tips about it someday...
    And this particular image, with the flowers, big, gorgeous flowers, is master!!! I love it! Thanks a lot for the inspiration. I´ll post some of my first drawings soon on the blog... :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I do look forward to your pictures - excellent observation skills. They would make a fab calendar:) x

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's lovely! I like the way you created larger flowers in the foreground. Beautiful. x

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like the perspective of the flowers in the foreground too. The people details are really characterful - is that a word - I think so! Jo x

    http://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  26. As usual a really lovely picture. I love the way you have put the flowers in the foreground. Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your drawings. Glad to see the return of tom tit. I missed him the last time you forgot him! Whenever we go on vacation I like to buy small drawings or paintings of local points of interest. I prefer drawings or paintings over a picture postcard because of the element of charm. If I visited that lighthouse and saw your drawing of it for sale, I'd buy it in heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm so enjoying your art work. It's so full of life, have you though of making them in to gift cards or something. I think they would make fun table mats.
    I know you are a runner so I just wanted to ask if you have seen the Brooks running shoe BOX? the shoes are pretty cool but the box reminds me of your art work as it depicts a marathon scene that could easily have been draw by you. If you have a chance stop by a running store for a look.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh wow! I grew up in Withernsea and used to live very close to this lighthouse! When I was about 6 or 7 I used to climb into bed with Mum and Dad and their room faced the lighthouse and would be lit up every few seconds as the light went round. Yes, this was a long time ago when the lighthouse was still in use lol. It used to settle me off to sleep. I LOVE your picture and if you don't mind I'll share it with a Withernsea Memories Facebook group I'm part of. I'm sure everyone on it will love your picture too!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Found this on the Withernsea memories page and love it. I have lived in Withernsea for 10 years and have climbed to the top 3 times. Great view over the town from there. I have a I Love Withernsea page on facebook and hope you don't mind if I share it there. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your picture is lovely, the colors are so bright and pretty! Angel

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the flowers in the foreground as it gives the scene such good depth.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Loved the picture but especially the added bunting!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your drawings brighten my day. Thank you! I love that you put a kitty in so many of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. oh god, you draw so well. I wish I could, but I know its something you should be born with :P And I'm not. The last time I drew was in school and the cow I'd drawn looked like a horse and that was it. haha. All I would do was just colour my sister's drawings :D:D
    Following you now!

    Good work Jacquie!!
    Hugs,
    Ranjitha
    www.hookingtheyarn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Another keeper - I love the way the blue of the sky deepens as you look up. And that your flowers are particularly your own! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. it's lovely Jacquie! your pictures are so full of life. Heather x

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.